One of my favorite sketches!
Anyway, I’m talking Beauty Number – which is a thing now. Exhibit A, Exhibit B, and Exhibit C. There’s more, I’m sure. Last weekend I did something similar where I documented all of the products used on my face and their prices. So many products that I had to break it into Step 1 and Step 2…and that was limited to only makeup! Your beauty number is the number of products you use in an average day. There’s a general consensus that the average number is 12, which seems really low to myself and the bloggers of the exhibits I linked. But, maybe that just seems low to people who blog about makeup? Where did that number come from? And who does it apply to? American women?
While a lot of writers reference the 12 average anecdotally [why is this not a word?], it’s taken me awhile to find it’s source. Huffington Post and YouGov did a poll in September 2013 of 532 U.S. women and only 7% use 7+ products to get ready (products “such as” hairstyling products, makeup, and moisturizers). Click here for full results of poll.
The number 12 comes from a survey conducted by the Environmental Working Group with concerns, and I’m really paraphrasing here, that the average person is exposed to wayyyyy too many chemicals daily. They surveyed over 2300 and the average person (men included…yes, they’re people, too) uses 9 products per day. The average women = 12. Other interesting results, methodology and analysis HERE.
Now that I’ve verified the average is 12, I can’t believe it. And I don’t even want to think about how many chemical ingredients I’m exposed to. But I will share with you my beauty number, which I can assure you is higher than 12! I’m writing this out for the typical work day, where I use less products that my previous post because, frankly, I can’t think very much at 5:30AM.
- Shampoo – TREsemme Moisture Rich
- Conditioner – Organix Conditioner Thick & Full Biotin and Collagen
- Organix is my favorite! But I also usually buy whatever is on sale
- Facewash – Panoxyl Acne Cleansing Bar
- Bodywash – Neutrogena Body Clear Body Scrub
- Shaving Cream – Aveeno Active Naturals Therapeutic Shave Gel
- Body Lotion – CVS Daily Moisture
- Face Lotion – Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Moisturizer
- Eye Cream – Origins Eye Doctor
- Origins is amazing – also try their charcoal mask
- Deoderant – Secret Invisible Solids Scent Expressions
- I’m a deoderant hoarder – I currently have 3 different scents in rotation. One time I decided to clean out my deoderant and I had 7!
- Eye Makeup Remover
- Eyebrow Powder
- Eyebrow Gel
- Bronzer or Blush
- Eyeshadow – Brow bone
- Eyeshadow – middle
- Eyeshadow – Crease
- Lipstick or lip gloss
- Hair Serum – Pantene Pro-V Heat Potion Serum
- Hair Straightening Spray – Organix Brazilian Keratin Therapy Flat Iron Spray
So, 23 is my number! Not as much as I thought. Way above average, but not as bad as I thought. Have a great Saturday, everyone!