Soap & Glory – Face Soap and Clarity ($25)
This Vitamin C facial wash includes “natural superfruit™ yuzu and ultra-soft scrub-beads, this high-tech foaming wash is a multitasking miracle.” I don’t think I’ve ever read product descriptions so closely before reviewing all these samples. They all sound like so much bullshit. You really need to trademark superfruit?? What the fuck is yuzu?!? It’s either the next-generation digital communication platform…or a citrus fruit. I don’t want the hipster of face wash. I want something unpretentious.
Anyway, I chose this one because the packaging seemed unpretentious. After my experience with powder wash and oil/gelee wash last week, I just wanted a plain old face wash. One in a familiar consistency. That foamed. And washed off. This one [mostly] did the job. It is sort of gel consistency, but you still wet it before putting on. It has a slightly strange smell, like bathroom cleaner…Scrubbing Bubbles, maybe. Speaking of scrubbing, the scrub beads are pointless. They’re so distributed that I think there were two on my face, which scrubbed maybe one square inch. That aside, my face felt clean and fresh after and I think I’ll get a lot of uses out of this sample size.
philosophy – Miracle Worker Overnight ($68)
Holy mother, that’s expensive. I suppose if it really is “age resetting” and the “rare marine algae extract” really does get rid of “age accelerating proteins.” I suppose. I don’t know how to tell if it does any of that. Especially from a sample size. Can I get my number of age accelerating proteins tested? Aha, the research results. 50 participants. An improvement in fine lines in 4 – 8 weeks, depending on the lines.
Some of the reviews on Sephora are terrible – burning, no difference in lines, terrible smell. I can say that I didn’t experience that. I thought it was a nice overnight cream. It has a faint citrus smell, more like grapefruit than orange. It was heavy, but still easily spread over my face, so I didn’t have to use a lot (the importance of this aspect is directly correlated to the price!). My face felt a little oily when I woke up, which I wasn’t in love with. So this was definitely too heavy for the day and I like to consolidate products. I did like it and maybe I’ll try it again when I’m in severe need of “age resetting,” but for now I’ll stick with an all purpose moisturizer. (Maybe I just don’t respond well [mentally] to bells and whistles?)
As a part of this award, I am given the following tasks to do:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their site –
Thank you L from Bubbles and Booyah! Her blog features a lot of fitness articles (running, crossfit-type stuff, etc.) and lots of vegetarian food and funny stories. Seriously, she’s super upbeat, fun, and motivated, and her attitude is contagious!
- Put the award logo on your blog.
- Answer the ten questions sent to you.
- Nominate seven blogs.
- Make a list of ten questions for your nominees.
Questions I have to answer — L was kind enough to only ask 5.
- Why did you start your blog?
- I originally was trying to use it to quit smoking. I thought it would help with my motivation and my progress. Quitting smoking is still a work in progress. I’ve made A LOT of progress, and I’m comfortable there, so there wasn’t too much to write about. I had a separate blog on a different host about fashion. I combined them and decided that I would write about whatever the fuck I want, followers be damned. It’s a creative outlet for me that I’ve been using more and more since being in grad school for engineering.
- What Jeopardy! category would you clear, no problem?
- Any on the high schooler episodes! Haha Also pretty good at pop culture and TV.
- Three things you’d like to accomplish this year (they can be as small or monumental as you’d like).
- Graduate! That used to seem like an easy goal until I got a 54 on my first homework in a required class.
- Run a half marathon. I’m registered for this one in Easton, MA in July.
- NOT cut my hair. This one’s a little goofy, but I always grow my hair out past my shoulders, I chop it off into a pixie cut. It’s currently just past my shoulders and I’m starting to get that itch, but I really want to be able to do a top knot without clipping up the back goddamit!!
- Your perfect day: Go.
- Coffee and an avocado muffin from 3 Little Figs in Somerville, MA. Preferably delivered to me while I’m in my pajamas reading a book or watching bad TV. Going for a run in sunny, 40 degree weather. Going out to a fancy ass dinner, but not overeating, then going dancing to 80’s, 90’s ish music – Phoenix Landing and The Burren are my favorites.
- What is your favorite place that you’ve traveled and why?
- Germany. Good beer in huge mugs and happy, sexy people.
- Bonus round: What cheesy song do you have memorized?
- Shoop by Salt n Peppa
- Bust a Move by Tone Loc
- Bitch by Meredith Brooks (my personal anthem)
I nominate the following 7 ladies for this award. I know (or suspect) that many of you have done it before, so don’t feel the need to repeat!
- Babeta Runs
- Orange Drop Delight
- A Cupcake For My Thoughts
- The Happy Lifeaholic
- The Keen Peach
- Stephie Estie
Please answer the following questions.
- If you have a tattoo, what is it and why? If you have more than one, tell us about your favorite. If you have none, is there any you’ve thought of, just in case you decide to one day?
- Your go-to karaoke song?
- Why did you start your blog?
- Is there anything you’ve been thinking about or wanting to write about that doesn’t fit with your theme?
- Favorite sport? To watch or play?
- Describe an outfit you have in your closet that makes you feel powerful and in charge when you wear it.
- Favorite cocktail or beer?
- How do you want people to see/describe you?
- Favorite color to paint your nails?
- Show us a picture of your favorite spot in your house!
***I was having trouble finding the award picture. I explored WP Reader with the search terms “sisterhood award” and found some really great blogs! I ended up copying the picture from The Perks of Being a Bookworm — hopefully they don’t mind!