For the next two months and probably years thereafter, I cannot spend extra money. The sandals I bought myself the other day – NO. The sundresses I need for vacation – NO. The doughnuts I treat myself to – NO. For SO MANY REASONS, no!
Between the downpayment on the condo, the deposits for wedding venues, closing costs, taxes, insurance, inspection, lawyer’s fees…. I can’t even finish that sentence.
The bottom line is I cannot spend unnecessary money over the next 4 weeks because we will be applying for mortgage and any deviation from how much we had when we were pre-approved will jeopardize the ease with which we get a mortgage.
The bottom bottom line is that, after that, I cannot spend unnecessary because I have so many necessary things to spend money one. Mortgage payments. Small home improvements – shelving, paint, that sort of thing. Rent for the month of August. Condo fees. Movers. Photographers. DJs. Some dress that I’ll wear once. You get the idea.
Here are all the things I can do to save money. They get progressively more unlikely as the list goes on.
- Get a medium coffee each morning, instead of a large. Savings = $10.80/month
- Cancel the DVD portion of my Netflix subscription (why do I even have it??). Savings = $4.99/month
- Only buy breakfast from a grocery store; NOT from the coffee shop. Savings = $12/month
- Cancel my ipsy subscription. Savings = $10/month
- Get my hair cut at Supercuts. Savings = $12/month
- Pay attention to the ingredients when I’m cooking — make cheaper recipes. Savings = $20/month
- Stop going out to eat. Savings = $100/month
- Don’t buy things for myself like make up or clothes or shoes. Savings = $75/month.
- Drink cheaper beer. Savings = A BILLION DOLLARS (okay, so it’s probably a savings of about $40/month…I know…I drink really expensive beer)
- Cancel cable. Savings = $25/month
- Stop smoking when I drink. Savings = $20/month
So, if I had the willpower of a Tibetan monk, I could save $329 per month. These numebrs are very approximate. Regardless, that’s a lot of money. If I tried to cut out all these things, though, I’m going to get cravings and splurge. Big time. I mean, the whole reason I even have an ipsy subscription is to try and satiate the desire to treat myself all the time.
I already canceled my DVD part of Netflix. Next week I’m switching to medium coffees [Ultimate goal = bring my own coffee. I already make myself coffee every morning]. And I’m not buying muffins or breakfast sandwiches any more. I don’t think I’ll cancel ipsy, but I will stop buying myself things. That’s tier one. Leaves me with some things to work towards!