- The news said it was snowing and I didn’t look out the window before leaving the house. All the shades are drawn, pretty much so I can run from the bathroom to the bedroom without a towel and not be seen. Anyway, I was really excited for snow, because I got real snow boots for my birthday:
And I’ve been waiting for it to snow ever since! My old “snow boots” were just black Timberlands which are waterproof and innocuous enough to leave on at work, but they were not warm or adorable like these are.
So, I got these out AND I had to reattach my Columbia ski jacket shell to the warm liner, which is a pain, but my nailpolish matched the liner (I have an obsession with teal and lime – based on these two pictures, it’s out of control:
- When I went outside, it wasn’t snowing. There wasn’t snow on the ground. It was barely wet out. Today didn’t even warrant rain boots, let alone my bad ass snow boots. I looked like a ridiculous Southern transplant who doesn’t know what a New England winter is. I looked like someone who turns their heat on in October. Someone who only wears flipflops and shorts when it hits 80. I am not any of those, my friends; but today I looked ridiculous.
- Every morning I get a free Metro newspaper and the subway station and do the crossword on my way in. In pen! (aaaahhh the horror) Today, one of the clues was “Parrot” and the answer was “Ape”. I love that parrot and ape are synonyms. That was a very random musing, but I think that’s what “Five Thing Friday” is for.
- My day off yesterday was pretty productive and I’m not going super crazy anymore. When I was leaving work on Wednesday afternoon, I was all out of sorts and my To Do List was (is) a disaster. My coworker turned to me and said, “You need to get your shit together, because if you’re struggling, there’s no hope for the rest of us!” I was tickled pink by this comment.
- I’m going to Fitz and the Tantrums tomorrow night at House of Blues. Usually I don’t buy tickets to a concert unless I know all of the songs by a band. I just have more fun when I can sing along. I only know one song by FATT (best acronym ever, right?), BUT I like FATT the bf likes them and there’s not a ton of bands we like in common, so let’s do this!
You guys have any good plans this weekend?
- Today I get to go back to my alma mater (and current place of study), Northeastern University in Boston, to interview for co-ops. If you’re not familiar with the term co-op, it’s kind of like a 6-month, paid internship with an emphasis on professional growth/career development for the student and less emphasis on them doing bitch work. I did 3 co-ops during my undergrad and the experience was invaluable. It’s why I have a job. And why I now get to be the boss. Mwahahaha. I struggle with interviewing, though, because I want to give the students tips on improving their resumes and coach them through the interview, but I have to focus on what’s best (who’s best) for the position.
- I usually try to wear a full suit when I’m doing the interviewing, because I expect the interviewee to do the same. Even though I don’t have to wear a suit at work. (I still do, sometimes, for meetings with important people). I think I’m in between my two suit sizes and I didn’t really feel like figuring out which one would suffice, so I came up with this.
The look is less intimidating than the full suit, but how sweet is the lining in this jacket?! It’s from Express a few years ago and, therefore doesn’t button.
- Interviewing all day also means I get free lunch and, in this case, TWO DESSERTS! Pairs nicely with the pumpkin muffin for breakfast. Roll me away now…
- Seriously, my sweet tooth is out of control. I started getting Buzzfeed’s food newsletter – It’s THE BEST. And I want to make all 46 of these recipes. You can thank me later – I’ll let you wipe the drool off the table first.
- For interviews, I like asking a couple behavioral based questions. People hate answering them, but if you can do them in a conversational manner, you get to know so much more about the person. The best one I came up with is, “Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new, and you had to teach yourself. You didn’t have anyone to ask for help.” That looks weird written out. As a co-op student, I had always been in the position where parents, teachers, or professors could answer your questions. There was always someone around who knew how to do what you were doing. When I started my first co-op, I had to build a database in Access and no one in the office knew how to do that. That’s why they needed a co-op. I quickly learned that, unlike writing research papers, you really can just google something and use the answers you find. You have to be persistent and adjust your language constantly to find the right developer forum, the words that actual computer people use, etc. It was a challenging, come-to-jesus moment. That’s why I ask the question.
A few blogs I read do a 15 thing Friday. I’m not that ambitions, so we’re going with 5.
- Happy Halloween! I’ll be dressing up as Puss in Boots to accompany my boyfriend in a donkey costume. It’s a pretty simple (lame) costume.
- Part of the reason I went super easy this year is that I have a live webinar to watch for my Data Management and Database Design class from 6 -8pm. The Halloween party I’m attending starts at 8pm, so I’ll be fashionably late.
- I’ve had a draft saved for awhile on the topic of still smoking after I “quit” two years ago. But I’m not ready to talk about it. She says as she buys a pack of cigarettes for the aforementioned party.
- I think everyone in Boston has a love/hate relationship with the MBTA. On one hand, it costs about 1/5th (or less) of what it would cost me to have a car and it gets me to 95% of the places I need to go. On the other hand, there are mornings like today. I was running too late and missed my 7:17am bus, so I planned on getting the 7:37am bus. That bus actually came at 7:50am. Then, I knew I was out of luck, the day the suuubwaaaay died.
- I’m rocking my inner Blair Waldorf today. Yeah, I’m just referencing the headband, which you can barely see. Also rocking Clinique’s ubiquitous Black Honey on my lips (you can’t see, but it matches my pants!). I’ll end up with a headache and a ponytail by the end of the day, but it’s working for now!
Now I’ve got Mascara Monday, which will turn into Makeup Monday once I run out of mascaras, and Five Thing Friday. I was thinking of Struggle Sunday, but since Sunday is really a struggle, I don’t want to paint myself into a corner. Maybe Workout Wednesday?
Did I just make this 6 things? Whoops. Should I just go for 15? Not today, but maybe.